The North Shore Library has two types of iPads available for in-house loan periods:
- iPads that are preloaded with Children’s Apps; you may borrow and return them to the Circulation Desk
- iPads that have Internet access; you may borrow and return them to the Reference Desk
Current adult Suffolk County Library cardholders who meet the following criteria will be able to borrow an iPad for in-library use:
- Suffolk County library patrons who have no fines or overdue items on their library account
- Suffolk County library patrons who are 19 and over (NSPL staff will hold borrower’s library card, driver’s license, or passport, or country identity card).
- If a grandparent’ caregiver comes in with driver’s license with a child who is a Suffolk County cardholder, an iPad is permitted to be checked out from either reference or circulation. (NSPL staff will hold grandparent’s driver’s license and checkout iPad on child’s card). This is the only case where a child’s card may be used to check out an iPad.
Loans are on a first-come, first-served basis and the Loan periods are as follows:
- iPads are to be used in specifically designated areas in Ref. and Children’s areas.
- An iPad can be loaned for a period of 60 minutes.
- An iPad borrower may request a 60-minute extension if there are no other borrowers waiting.
- A limit of 2 iPads can be borrowed per patron for Children’s iPads.
- A limit of 1 iPad can be borrowed per patron for iPads from Reference.
- iPads will circulate in a silicone screen protective case.
- iPads must not be left unattended.
- If the iPad is stolen, lost, or damaged, the borrower will be responsible for its replacement.
- The borrower must report any problems with the iPad to the library staff when it is returned.
- Printing is not available from the iPad.
- iPads are not to be used in restrooms (staff at circulation will hold the iPad for patrons while they are in the restroom).
iPad Loan Agreement:
- Accept full responsibility and liability for the iPad that they borrowed.
- Reimburse the North Shore Public Library for the cost of repairing or replacing this iPad and/or accessories if they are lost, stolen, or damaged while checked out in their name.
- Understands that the replacement cost for the iPad will be $600.00 each.