This plan is prepared by the Director and Staff of the North Shore Public Library. The purpose of this plan is:
- To ensure the safety of patrons and staff in the event of extreme disaster.
- To recover the library collection, furniture, equipment, business records, and computer records in the event of a disaster such as a fire or flood.
- To provide external emergency workers with a guide to the layout of the building.
The general layout of this plan is the following (full plan kept for internal use to ensure the safety of patrons and staff):
Immediate Emergency Response
- Assess safety
- Elicit help
- Act to protect
In-House Emergency Team
- Procedural emergency staff chain in place
Disaster Recovery Services
- The Library has services/personnel in place for particular disaster responses and recoveries
- All library information is backed up through a cloud storage
- Includes, but not limited to:
- Plastic Sheeting, Wet/Dry Vacuum, Fans, Radio & Batteries, Yellow Dots On Items To Be Saved, Flashlights, Caution Tape, Brooms/Mops, Duct Tape, First Aid Kit, Plastic Garbage Bags, Dehumidifiers, Paper towels, Disposable Gloves
- Located throughout the Library
AED (Automated External Defibrillators
- Located on both levels of the Library
Emergency Phone Numbers & Service Contracts
- The Library has an in-house disaster directory of names, businesses, and phone numbers ready for particular disasters/recoveries
Procedures In Place For:
- Fires, floods, power outages, internal and external building issues, active shooter, bomb treats, cardiac emergencies, elevator emergencies, incidents, inappropriate behavior, loitering/trespassing, medical emergencies, missing child, incidents involving Shoreham-Wading River High School, program room instructions, suspicious objects and mail, telephone failure, theft/vandalism, weapons, evacuation areas, etc.