Library premises are available for the use of members of the public to meet their needs in accessing information. As part of its educational mission, the library permits tutoring on the premises in accordance with written policy.
The library does not sponsor independent tutors; only students enrolled in the Rocky Point School District and Shoreham-Wading River School District may be tutored in the library.
Tutors are asked to observe the following guidelines when tutoring in the Library:
- Tutors, students and parents/caregivers must sign the Library Tutoring Agreement, which is subject to the review and approval of the Library Director (see agreement form).
- Tutoring activities are to be confined to designated areas (main level – round tables behind the reference desk) thus keeping the rest of the Library relatively quiet for individual reading and study.
- Designated areas may not be available if needed for Library programs or activities. Tutors should re-schedule or inquire about alternate rooms.
- Tutoring sessions must be kept as quiet as possible. The Library’s policy and Guidelines regarding Public Order applies.
- Tutors are responsible for the behavior of the students being tutored during the tutoring session.
- It is preferred that the parent remain in the Library while the child is being tutored. The Library assumes no responsibility for children left unattended.
- Library staff is happy to assist tutors and their students, just as they assist any patron of the Library. However, the Library staff must be available to all people who come into the Library for help.
- Library telephones may not be used to make or cancel appointments.
- Tutors and students must bring their own supplies.
The Library shall be the exclusive interpreter of what constitutes acceptable use and behavior. The Library reserves the right to prohibit or end any agreement at the discretion of the Director and Board of Directors.